Ghormley Meadow Christian Camp was established as an organizational camp on the Wenatchee National Forest in 1939.
Dr. Charles Ghormley (associate pastor at First Pres Yakima), along with several others (mainly from the young married "Golden Circle" class) from First Presbyterian Church of Yakima, came across the secluded meadow and nearby Jumpoff Creek as they were horseback riding in the area looking for an ideal location to begin a camp. The remote location, together with a dependable source of water, provided the ideal setting.
For years they had been searching for a place to offer camps for kids from Central Washington without having to travel all the way to the coast. The Lower Lodge and Sundeck buildings were the first to be constructed. Many volunteers offered countless hours to prepare the camp for it's first summer season and then continued to work to improve and expand the camp throughout the years. Dr. Ghormley never wanted the camp to be named after him, as he understood that many people poured themselves into the formation and operation of the camp. But upon his sudden death in 1948 (he was stricken fatally ill at the camp as he was preparing to begin a week of camp for children) members of the church moved to have the camp named after him.
Today Ghormley operates year round and, by the grace of God, is used by churches, schools, and community groups from Central Washington and throughout the Northwest. Between 6000 and 7000 guests, and hundreds more volunteer counselors and workers, visit Ghormley each year.
|# of Activities||8|
|# of Locations||1|
|Cost Range||$0 - $380|